It’s no secret that workplace and school security has been at the forefront of our minds over the last few years. Places that we trust to be safe have been subject to terrible acts of violence.
Whether it’s the Uvalde, Texas mass shooting that took place in a school or the Buffalo, New York mass shooting that took place in a supermarket, violence can happen anywhere. It’s more important than ever to implement a fully integrated security system in the workplace, schools, and even healthcare settings. In fact, lack of physical security leads to higher rates of burglaries and thefts.
Children shouldn’t have to go to school in fear for their lives every day. We shouldn’t be nervous everytime we go to the grocery store. Did you know that employees get their best work done when they feel safest? Aside from protecting your people from harm, taking the steps to shield your workplace from unauthorized intrusion can also boost productivity and everyone’s wellbeing. It’s a win-win!
Clearly, securing our community is a no brainer…but what’s the best way to go about this? The Computers Nationwide team understands our role and responsibility in providing the best physical security solutions to protect your school or place of business…and we don’t take this job lightly!
Access Control, Commercial Surveillance, and Video Intercoms are a few key pieces of the puzzle for safeguarding your facility. In this blog, we will talk about best practices for developing a comprehensive, integrated approach to security.
An Update on School Violence
Unfortunately, schools have been a hotbed for senseless violence over the past few years. Here are a few statistics about the dangers happening in public schools to take note of…
- In 2019–20, there were a total of 75 school shootings with casualties, including 27 school shootings with deaths and 48 school shootings with injuries only. In addition, there were 37 reported school shootings with no casualties in 2019–20.
- Almost 9% of high school students had not gone to school at least 1 day during the 30 days before the survey because they felt they would be unsafe at school or on their way to or from school.
- More than 7% of high school students had been threatened or injured with a weapon (for example, a gun, knife, or club) on school property one or more times during the 12 months before the survey.
Current State of Workplace Violence
Academic institutions Schools aren’t the only place violence can happen. The workplace is a setting that needs security as well. Business owners should be aware of these statistics…
- 79% of workplace violence homicide perpetrators are not coworkers
- Workplace violence lawsuits cost companies an average of $500,000 for out of court settlements
- Workplace violence is the 3rd leading cause of death for workers in healthcare and professional service industries
- Each year, 2 million US workers become victims of workplace violence
Now that we’ve covered the risks you’ll encounter in various settings, that’s enough doom and gloom – let’s talk solutions!
Protecting Schools with an Integrated Approach to Security
A lone, singular approach to security in school or the workplace is no longer the answer; it doesn’t provide complete protection. Many facilities are still relying on old, outdated security tools that are no longer reliable or able to protect the whole picture.
So what can school districts do to protect their students and staff? Fortunately, this digital age has paved the way for innovative technology to take center stage. It starts with an integrated security approach. Adopting an integrated security system includes multi-layered solutions that will protect your school from all angles. Here are a few steps…
- Secure the front entrance: It might be time for your school to move away from an open front door environment where anyone can walk into the building. Administration should set up a system in which guests can only enter after being properly vetted by the front desk staff. They should have to sign in with their ID and be accounted for via a Video Intercom system.
- Monitor the hallways and common areas: Surveillance in the hallways and common areas is key. That includes parking lots, cafeterias, playgrounds, and even the staff lounge. Video Surveillance serves as a reactive measure that helps catch perpetrators after the fact, determining what crime took place and who is responsible. It can also be used to stop events in real-time with 24/7 monitoring.
- Provide communication tools in the classrooms: Teachers and faculty should have an easy, fast, and reliable means of communication with the front office and other teachers in the event of an emergency. And the school security or police officer should be on speed dial. Placing an intercom system in each classroom gives teachers (and even students) the ability to reach the appropriate channels as soon as suspicious activity is seen. Consider adopting Unified Communication to keep everyone connected!
- Secure the perimeter with access controls for staff and faculty: Just as it’s important to know who is visiting your school, it is equally as important to implement an Access Control program for teachers, substitutes, and staff. Access control solutions enable staff or security to easily track who is coming and going, and to provide secure access at authorized entrance points. In the event of a school employee being terminated, a school district can quickly deactivate their access control credential to remove access privileges without interrupting access for other staff members.
Partnering with Computer Nationwide for Premier Security Solutions
School districts need to make sure their school security program incorporates a layered approach that integrates multiple technologies to provide complete coverage. Find out how our partners can help get you there!
Our partners at Hikvision offer customizable, budget-friendly systems to facilitate student safety in schools. Their price advantages provide schools the ability to deploy more life-saving technology and meet budget requirements. High quality, advanced technology helps administrators do more, while being good stewards of public funding. Features of the integrated security solutions for smarter and safer school campuses include: access control, attribute search capabilities, perimeter protection, population density detection, and a security control room.
Security intercom systems from our partners at Aiphone provide voice and video communication between locations at specific points within a building, across a campus, or throughout a district. A security plan should include a multi-layered approach to ensure a secure campus environment that protects the front door, hallways, and classrooms. The presence of an intercom system, especially when it’s integrated with other security equipment, provides effective measures to keep students safe, staff informed, and maintain quick security responses.
Integrated Security Solutions from Computers Nationwide
Hikvision and Aiphone are just two of the many industry-leading companies we partner with. We understand there is no one-size-fits-all solution for protecting any school, hospital, or workplace. Keep in mind that Computers Nationwide is a vendor agnostic technology advisor.
Being a vendor agnostic company means that CN is open to all viable and established solutions with the correct support infrastructure in place to best support our clients. We won’t box you in with limited options. Simply put, a vendor agnostic company is not contractually obligated to work with a specific manufacturer. We work to get the best provider options for your organization’s individual needs. We’ve chosen to work with the best network partners to offer clients a wide range of solutions from global industry leaders.
Here are a few of the comprehensive security solutions we offer…
Commercial Surveillance: When it comes to crime prevention in schools or a place of business, security cameras are vital. Not only do cameras protect your property and equipment, they also keep your employees safe by deterring robbers and vandals. Installing a surveillance security system is more than just hanging a few cameras around! It involves evaluating your property to anticipate traffic flow, spot security weaknesses, identify lighting challenges and determine the best equipment to use for maximum coverage.
Access Control: Protect your physical location, safeguard sensitive areas, and increase the safety of your people with Access Control solutions. We can help you secure your properties with technology including alarm services and access cards. Imagine knowing who is entering and exiting your facility, at every possible checkpoint. You choose who’s allowed in and what areas they have access to. No more worries about dangerous intruders or people snooping where they don’t belong!
Video Intercoms: You can now see who you’re talking to – whether they’re a client standing at the entrance of your building, staff working a few offices down the hall, or security providing you with important updates. Our video intercom options are easy to install and manage, feature noise suppression, echo cancellation and integrated access control! Industries that are best served by implementing a video intercom system include office buildings, banks, schools, warehouse, apartment buildings, healthcare facilities, factories, and even parking lots.
Here’s what a client had to say about working with us:
“Top notch company with outstanding service. I highly recommend them!”
Now is not the time to point fingers. It’s time to come together to protect our schools and the community. The horrifying events at Columbine, Sandy Hook, Parkland, Uvalde, and plenty more, have made school security the unfortunate topic of many conversations.
Don’t wait until a crisis happens at your place of business to implement a comprehensive security strategy. Be proactive in protecting your workplace or facility before it’s too late. It’s time to develop an integrated security approach that streamlines communication, controls access, and puts preventative measures in place to keep everyone as safe as possible.
Team up with CN to upgrade security at your school or business ASAP!
Schedule a meeting to find out how you can secure your workplace with an Integrated Security Approach from Computers Nationwide: (224) 243-7842
Computers Nationwide is Committed to You!
Do you know your potential IT vulnerabilities? It’s in every organization’s best interest to work with an expert Managed IT Service provider to keep day-to-day operations running smoothly.
Request a FREE IT Risk Assessment
Do you know what your current Managed IT team is doing for you?
A detailed analysis of your current technology
An action plan to address operational deficiencies
A detailed budget plan and scope of work