As secure as you think your business has become, loyal employees could actually cause the most serious security breaches. Your front office staff or marketing team could fall for a phishing scam, innocently choose a weak password or simply get fooled by a social engineering hack. Data breaches and weak passwords go together like eggs and toast. Sloppy passwords are one of the most harmful ways your data center system becomes cracked. According to the Verizon DBIR, 81% of data breaches are usually traced back to a weak or reused password!
Computers Nationwide wants to protect small and mid-sized businesses from cyber criminals and hackers by tracking down and eliminating sources of risk to prevent data theft.
Empower your employees with a few basic practices:
- Change Passwords – Security experts highly recommend companies change out all passwords every 30 to 90 days.
- Create a Strong Password – Make the password long enough and complex enough to deter an expert computer hacker.
Our affiliate partner Microsoft shares this advice for creating strong passwords:
- At least eight characters long
- Doesn’t contain your username, real name, or company name
- Doesn’t contain a complete word
- Is significantly different from previous passwords
- Contains uppercase letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols
Teach Your Employees To:
- Avoid using standard dictionary words, any personal data such as addresses, telephone numbers, social security numbers etc.
- Enforce a policy that emphasizes employees should not access anything using another employee’s login. Often employees leave systems open and let others access them to save time or just keep it convenient for teammates. Just don’t do it.
- Handle their passwords with sensitivity. Do not post them anywhere visible ie: their computer, their wall…Information that is easily accessed has the potential to put your whole network at risk.
- Keep track of their passwords
While these password tips might seem like common sense, reducing your network’s exposure is critical to keeping your business’s sensitive data safe and protected from cyber-criminals. At Computers Nationwide, your security is our top priority.
Let us help you safely manage your network and surveillance needs with our industry-leading IT team and the best service possible.
For more tips on how to make a strong password, check out this video: